DFS seeking Management Committee Member with HR experience
The Darwin Film Society (DFS) is seeking an experienced human resource manager, who preferably has experience across a range of sectors (the not-for-profit, government and commercial), to contribute to the management of our much loved venue, the Deckchair Cinema, and the DFS’s other projects.
This Management Committee member will be responsible for:
- Providing counsel relating to human resource management matters such as employment reviews and professional development of Management staff;
- Ensuring compliance with all aspects of the Broadcast and Recorded Entertainment Award 2010 in conjunction with the General Manager;
- Prepare, attend and contribute to monthly Committee meetings (11 times per year) and subcommittee meetings as required; and
- Be familiar with and committed to the DFS’ objectives.
- Highly experienced human resource manager, including experience across not-for-profit, government and/or the commercial sector;
- Interest in film culture and passion for the oversight of the Deckchair Cinema;
- Commitment and ability to attend monthly meetings;
- Ability to assist the General Manager with expert counsel outside of regular meeting times;
- All DFS Management Committee members must be, or become, a financial member of the Darwin Film Society. http://www.deckchaircinema.com.au/membership/; and
- Preferably has interest and experience in governance of not-for-profit boards.
The Darwin Film Society (DFS) is an incorporated association established in 1964 under the Associations Act (NT). The mission of the DFS is:
To enhance and diversify the cultural experiences available to the Darwin community by providing unique and alternative film experiences to those provided at mainstream cinema.
With that goal in mind, the DFS has an active membership base of around 750 people, and operates the:
- Deckchair Cinema – which is open every night from April to November. The DFS also runs
- Flix in the Wet – an eclectic program of films screening on Sunday afternoons from late January to late March
- Darwin International Film Festival (DIFF) – a program of the world’s best cinema including films, workshops and special events
As a not-for-profit, community-based organisation, the DFS also hosts other film-focused events, and assists community groups to screen films for their own fundraising activity. The Deckchair Cinema is a key tourism venue and a central feature in the local arts scene in Darwin.
The Darwin Film Society (DFS) has recently revised its reporting arrangements and upgraded key governance documents and processes. The organisation has strong governance arrangements and is in a secure financial position.
If you are interested in this position, please send your EoI with a cover letter and CV to the General Manager Deckchair Cinema on email@example.com by Sunday 15 November.