Darwin Film Society Committee seeks Committee Member with legal skills
To fill this key position the DFS seeks a person with strong legal skills, preferably a practising lawyer with a commercial background to contribute to the management of our much loved venue.
This Committee member will:
- Prepare and review agreements;
- Provide legal and governance advice to the Committee;
- Interpret requirements of the DFS Constitution;
- Ensure compliance with all aspects of the law, including employment, trading, work health and safety;
- Attend monthly Committee meetings (11 times per year) and subcommittee meetings as required;
- Work with the Chair and General Manager to prepare documentation required by the Associations Act;
- Be familiar with and committed to the DFS’ objectives; and
- Preferably fill the role of Public Officer under the Associations Act.
- Legal skills, preferably a practising lawyer, with a commercial background;
- Interest and experience in governance of not-for-profit boards;
- Interest and experience in risk identification and mitigation;
- Interest in film culture; and
- Commitment and ability to attend monthly meetings.
The Darwin Film Society (DFS) is an incorporated association established in 1964 under the Associations Act (NT). It operates the Deckchair Cinema and has an active membership base of over 850 people. The Deckchair Cinema is open every night from April to November and runs Flix in the Wet, the Darwin International Film Festival and other film-focused events as well as assisting community groups and organisations screen films for fundraising. The Deckchair Cinema is a key tourism venue and a central feature in the local arts scene in Darwin.
The Darwin Film Society (DFS) has recently revised its reporting arrangements and upgraded key governance documents and processes. The organisation has strong governance arrangements and is in a secure financial position.
All members of the DFS Committee have an interest in film and passion for the oversight of the Deckchair Cinema.
Please send your EOI, preferably with a cover letter and CV, to the General Manager Deckchair Cinema on firstname.lastname@example.org.
All DFS Committee members must be, or become, a financial member of the Darwin Film Society. http://www.deckchaircinema.com.au/membership/